After much experimentation, and many dodgy batches, here is my perfected flapjack recipe. Screw expensive energy bars – cling film a couple of these and stick them in your jersey pockets.
They last a pretty long time if you keep them somewhere cool and in a sealed container. They’re also vegan.
100g vegan margarine
110g smooth peanut butter
80g agave syrup (or honey)
120g soft brown sugar
20g hemp seeds
50g chopped dried apricots / raisins / other dried fruit
225g porridge oats
1 large banana
- Melt the margarine and peanut butter in a large saucepan.
- Mix in the agave/honey and sugar.
- Stir in the oats, hemp seeds and dried fruit.
- Mash the banana and add that to the mix too.
- Make sure it’s all mixed up, and then tip it into a greased dish/tin to go in the oven for about 25 mins at 170 celsius – ish. Depends on your oven – so keep an eye on them.
- When they’ve cooled down a bit but are still warm, cut them up into pocket sized bits. Eat one immediately. Store the rest for your next bike ride. Or midnight feast.